Wednesday, September 7, 2011

PR weekend :)


This last weekend was a great weekend :) I had an "easy" run scheduled for Saturday morning, a 13.1 miler! It still makes me laugh to think that 13.1 is "easy!" I had been looking forward to it all week. I hoped it would go well and would fill me with positive energy for the following weekend's 17 mile run! I followed my now regular Friday, pre-long run routine: shake for breakfast, hummus and veggies for a snack, protein bar, and a Subway grilled chicken sandwich for an early dinner.  I think I have it pretty well figured out now except for a minor change here and there. I figured I would share this so that others can get some ideas. However, like a very good friend of mine always says: It depends on the person. What works for one person may not work for another! My one recommendation is to eat dinner earlier in the evening to allow plenty of time for your food to digest before your run (if you run early in the morning.)  
I mapped out a route this time that would keep me fairly close to the city limits. If I venture out much farther then Pandora doesn't work on my phone and we already know how important music is during running :)
I had my Prolong and my GU gels to keep my energy sustained the whole time. At mile 11.5, I realized I was making really good time and I quite possibly could set a new PR for a "half marathon." So what else did I do, but kick it up a few notches... BAM! ;) I might have set a PR with that last mile but I have no idea and didn't care at the time. All I cared about was that I had just completed a half marathon distance run 5.5 minutes FASTER than my finishing time for the KC Half Marathon- 1:59:15...woohoo :) I was so excited!

                               


On Labor Day, I participated in the 36th Annual Saguero National Park 8 mile run. It was the 2nd race of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. The first event was a 5k nighttime run held earlier this summer.  The last event is a half marathon up "A" Mountain held at the beginning of October. For those of you who don't know or remember, Gabe Zimmerman, was a former aide to Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and was one of 6 people who lost their lives during an event Zimmerman organized called "Congress On Your Corner" that was held January 8th here in Tucson.  Having a moment of silence in rememberance of Gabe, while a beautiful rainbow peaked through the clouds made for an emotional start to the race! I overheard several conversations throughout the week discussing the "Mile 4 Hill" and how hilly the course was in general. I was definitely not prepared for just how hilly the course was!! I have posted a topography map of the course.... Bring it on Liberty Memorial ;) 


As you can see there definitely is a "Mile 4 Hill" and NO flat spots! It was challenging but I loved it! I started the race in the middle of the pack which was where the 7 minute pace group was. This would be the reason why I set a PR that day! I was unaware of my pace but just kept up with the speed demons surrounding me. I was surprised by the continuous rolling hills but pressed on. I was wondering why I was already breathing heavy when I saw mile marker 1 when I looked down at my watch to see 7:45!! No wonder :) I am certain I had just ran my fastest mile ever, but I needed to slow it down if I was going to make it the next 7 miles! It was definitely challenging but I think it was a great training run for my marathon. I finished the 8 miles in 1:08:16. The results came out and that placed me 6th in the Female 25-29 division, 182 out of 848 people, and my average pace per mile was 8:32. I am definitely VERY happy with these results :) My confidence is definitely boosted a little and hopefully I can carry that with me through out the rest of my training and through the marathon itself.
 

                                                                     37 days!!!!! :) :)

NOTES of the DAY:
*Song of the day: "Shutterbug" by Lucious Left
*Tip of the day: Try to run in a race or two as training runs for your half or full marathon. Running with people is more fun and you can push yourself a little harder and set new PRs.
*Quote of the day: "The obsession with running is really an obsession with potential for more and more life." -George Sheehan

1 comment:

  1. OMG 37 days!??!?!!?!?! UGH...
    10 miles tomorrow....pray for me!

    ReplyDelete