Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bluebird Cafe to Oklahoma Joe's

If I was in Kansas City, that would be the length of my run on Saturday. Kind of crazy if you think about it! It took me 2 hours and 44 minutes to run that distance! Do you know what "normal" people do in that length of time? All kinds of things!!! But I would say this running thing has turned me into a not-so-normal person... and I love it!! I've enjoyed spending my saturday mornings getting up before the rest of the world and running for several hours. Its incredibly rejuvenating- you should try it :)

I can't say that it was an easy run but it was as smooth as 18 miles can go! I ran the same route as I had last week which was an easy loop first heading east towards Davis- Monthan AFB for about 8 miles and then turning back westward towards home. I sipped on my Prolong as I ran and eventually got lost in my own thoughts. Once again, I can't explain just how incredible this product is... you all really should try it! Anyways, I had my Jet Blackberry GU gel with 2x the caffeine at mile 8, mostly because I was starving and need some carbs. What you intake during a run is just as important as pre- and post- runs, so I decided to experiment a little. At mile 14, I had 1/3 of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to help fuel my muscles for the remaining four miles! Althought it was semi-difficult to eat due to the dryness, I think it was rather helpful. If only I had a running buddy who could have carried it with them instead of smashing into the little pocket of my handheld water bottle ;) I may try this again for this Saturdays run! The last three miles were a little difficult because my legs started feeling extremely heavy and my hip flexors were exhausted. What helped me finish was breaking down the remaining miles into small goals, just like I have done before! I just had to overcome those small obstacles to get to the end goal- HOME!! Its so ironic how running mimics my life! ;)

Saturday evening after my 18 mile run, I started to have some achiness and pain in my left heel. It wasn't constant so I ignored it for the remaining of the night. When I woke up Sunday, it was slightly worse than the night before. It didn't bother me during my hike up at Mt. Lemmon, so I chalked it up to being just a temporary thing. However, when I woke up Monday morning and took my first step, pain shot through my foot! I had to limp my way through the apartment. Ive dealt with the pain off and on for the last couple days. I asked the "expert" runners at the Running Shop next door what it could be and how to treat it. They instantly thought it was plantar fascitis, but with the pain radiating through my leg I thought it could potentially be something worse... I decided to take this week off from running, but still getting some crosstraining in by cycling to work! Today is much better:) I had the therapists at work check me out and their diagnosis was plantar fascitis as well. They have given me some exercises to do and have offered to work on my feet as well. Yay!! *Supposedly* plantar fasciatis is caused by excessive exercise and not enough cushion in my running shoes. Good to know, but I don't have time to stop my training NOR the means to get new shoes! Looks like massage, ice, and ibuprofen will be my best friends for the next TWENTY THREE DAYS :) :) Hoooty hoo!!! 

NOTES of the DAY:
* Temperature: 70 degrees
*Song of the Day: "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen
*Tip of the Day: "Don't worry, be happy!" :)
*Quote of the Day: "Thou hast only to follow the wall far enough and there will be a door in it." - Marguerite De Angeli

2 comments:

  1. Go Beamer, go Beamer, GO! I am excited to see you in 23 days.... :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Layne!! I'm excited to see you as well :) :)

    ReplyDelete