Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Una breve recapitulacion :)

 
 With my morning 8 mile run complete, today marks the end of training month #3!! I took a few moments today to look back to the beginning of my training. i have a calendar that hangs on my wall-each day of my training is color coded. I have fast runs, tempo runs, cross-training days, easy runs, long runs and of course REST DAYS- all marked in different colors. Each day is crossed out as they are completed and most have the length of time in which I have completed the run.
   I started a 2 week pre-training program consisting of several 3 mile runs and an occassional 4 miler. I wanted to have somewhat of a bse before starting my full marathon training. I remember feeling anxious and yes, even terrified to run 3 miles. I was scared of failing and having those short runs kick my butt! I know many of you have been in those shoes and may be in them now! Keep your chin up, think positive...You will get there! I did :) I never imagined that I would get to the point where I was looking forward to "just an 8 mile run" or that I "only had a 13 mile run this week." Its crazy how your thought process changes when you begin running!
  As of today, I have tackled about 300 miles... Let me repeat that... 300 miles, baby!!! How crazy, but exciting :) I still have about a month and a half left until the big day! For those of you who do not know, I have finally decided on which marathon will be my first! I will be gracing Kansas City with my presence and running the Waddell & Reed full marathon on October 15th :-D I couldn't be more excited to share this experience with my friends and family back home! I hope to see all your smiling faces out at the race and throughout the weekend, so pencil me in! I can't wait for weekend to arrive!!

   I leave you with these little excerpts from the book I'm currently reading titled "Run! 26.2 Stories of blisters and bliss" by Dean Karnazes...

             "The emotional swings that running creates can induce great bursts of creativity and insight. I believe these dramatic changes build strength of character. Just as a problem-free life never makes a strong and good person, smooth roads never make a good runner. As the runner fights the urge to stop, she masters her very mind. In overcoming adversity, she better understands the inner workings of her psyche. Life becomes bigger, bolder, filled with greater potential. 'In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity for growth,' Einstein wrote."
             "I've said it before: There's magic in misery. We runners lust for more. Our emotional discord heightens as we approach the fringes. Nothing seems to quell the insatiable appetite for more and more life. We are never thoroughly satisfied. Addiction? Perhaps. Is this a bad thing? You be the judge."

Love,

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment