Saturday, August 13, 2011

Serenity

What a great day! I woke up this morning at 4am to prepare for my 13.5 mile run. Im getting down to business with trying to figure out a regular pre-long run routine! I have 71 days until race day and I want it to go as smooth as possible. So I chowed down on a protein bar, had a glass of water mixed with some Niteworks (great for pre-workout as it helps open up the blood vessels and improve circulation), and a handful of "magic beans" aka chocolate covered espresso beans- for a little extra kick! I did some light stretching while I got everything ready to go: double-knotted laces? I-pod set to my new playlist (starting out with 'Momma Sed' of course!)? Two vanilla bean flavored GU gel packs? Watch? And sunglasses for later in the run? CHECK!! And out the door I went!!
It was about 4:45am when I hit the pavement! I didn't take into consideration that at this time its pitch black outside- with limited lighting from street lights- so I stumbled my way for the first few miles, dodging cars and potholes. Some streets here are neither runner nor cyclist friendly, Christopher- maybe I should start a petition down here as well?! ;)
Although I couldn't see well, my run was great from the start! I wasn't too concerned with how fast I could run it, I just wanted to feel good the whole time- and that I did! Might have been the "magic beans' or it might have been the positive thoughts I have had all week and especially during my run. I had extended my favorite route a little further to cover the extra mile or two, so I ran past the infamous 4th Avenue and University Boulevard (which are becoming a few of my favorite places here) then back out west towards the desert! Just before hitting the city limits I checked my watch- 18:35... What?! No way! I have been running for longer than that. I fumbled with the buttons a little and nothing. Damn- dead battery. For a minute I was a little stressed but continued on. With in a few minutes, I felt an enormous sense of relief. Not having to feel the pressure of the running clock was amazing! I was just running to run. I knew my route and that's all that mattered- what a great feeling! I later found out that it was in fact working and keeping my time because I finished in 2:08. Not as fast as my first half in KC but this route was also more difficult AND .4 miles longer ;)
As I was hitting mile 7, I came to my favorite spot on the route- a place I have mentioned before- where there are no signs of life. Just as I reached the top of the hill, my breath was taken away by the scenery! It was different than the last two times I had been there. I was in the middle of the desert and in front of me were rolling hills covered in dark-green vegetation, fog covered mountains in the distance, and an almost perfect blue sky. It was then that a calming, peace came over me. I realized at that point that I was okay with the rocks (in my life) being unturned and with the ones slowly sliding perfectly into place. Everything in my life was happening for a reason and in the way it should be. It was perfect...
Finished my run just as strongly as I started! Once again I am looking forward to another week of training... 14.5 miles next week :) Positive thoughts that all of next week's runs will be as successful as this weeks!

NOTES of the DAY:
*Temperature: 71
*Song of the Day: "Better Naked" by Ida Maria
*Tip of the Day: "Don't get greedy. Training for a marathon isn't like cramming for a test. That is, doing more miles than you're used to in the last few weeks will hurt--not help--your race. Even if you're feeling great, don't up the ante and increase your training. This is the time when many runners have been at it for two months or more and are becoming used to a certain level of training. Draw strength from the hard work you've put in.
*Quote of the Day: "Be brave and be patient. Have faith in yourself; trust in the significance of your life and the purpose of your passion. You are strong enough to sit in the space between spaces and allow divine inspiration to shed some light. When you put positive energy and productive effort into the world it will come back to you. Occasionally in ways you might not immediately understand and on a time frame you didn’t expect. Look. Listen. Learn. Stay open. Your destiny is awaiting you." -Jillian Michaels

No comments:

Post a Comment