Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tucson is hot... FYI

    Pancakes. Biscuits and gravy. More sleep... those were the first things on my mind this mornig. I listened to my body on needing more sleep so I "slept in" an extra half hour! But considering the temperature outside had risen ten degrees or more in that short amount of time, I am now thinking it may not have been such a good idea. As for my breakfast cravings, I chose half a protein bar and a glass of water instead- that would have to do! Plus, didn't I just make a statement that reaching your goals is 80% nutrition? I can't go back on that already! ;-) My pancakes would have to wait until I can reward myself after a really long run- let's say after my 12-mile run, deal? :-D
     The last three days of training have been great! Monday I ran 3.5 miles in 29 minutes. I felt pretty strong and "fast." I ran a similar route as last week taking me by Tumamoc Hill. I just needed to size her up again and let her know that she is about to be conquered :) Tuesday was a cross-training day. I went to use the "new" treadmill in my apartment's little "rec room" instead of heading off to the track to do my 400 meter sprints. Bad idea! The belt kept sliding underneath my feet so I had to hold on- not ideal. Then as my third interval was nearing completion the "new" treadmill shutoff completely, midrun- luckily I was holding on!! What in the world? I thought maybe I had hit a secret "shutoff mid-run" button or maybe I jarred the plug-in loose. I jumped off, checked the dumb thing from top to bottom, and even turned it off and back on-still nothing. Damn... So I chose to lift instead :) I also knew I was going to ride my bike home from the club later that night so that would work for my cross-training! I only almost died once on my journey home- dumb cars!! I made the 5.5-6 mile ride in about about 28-29... not too bad, right? It's been a minute since I rode a bike and I was kindly reminded of how great a workout it is! I will be incorporating more biking into my workouts, for sure :)
    Today's run was a little physically challenging only because my pace was a little fast, it was REALLY hot, and I had no water. I got a huge side cramp at about mile marker 2.5 and it lasted the whole rest of the way. It slowed me down a little but I decided to "suck it up" and kept pushing through! Mentally I was strong and resilient :) It felt great to push through and still finish my 4 miles under 40 minutes. I'm ready for my short 3 mile run tomorrow and my SEVEN mile long run on Saturday :) Bring on the miles!

NOTES of the DAY:
*Temperature: HOT ;)
*Song of the Day: Look At Me Now- Karmin version
*Tip of the Day: Watermelon is just as hydrating as good old H2O. (runnersworld.com)
*Quote of the Day: "Never are my senses more engaged than when the pain sets in." - Dean Karnazes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment