Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bring it on!

 
 I've been waiting in anticipation all week for this 7 mile run! I even checked out a few extra running books from teh library to keep my mind focused. However, after having a sad day and night last night, my mind wasn't where it needed to be. I woke up intimidated by the "long run" that awaited me.  Instead of trying to force myself into "game mode" I decided to let the vents of my life be the focus of today's run. It was a great idea! I was so focued on figuring out my life and developing a game plan for the next couple months (but occassionally tuning into my body) that I had a very successful and EASY 7 mile run. :)
   There is nothing like hitting the road while the sun is still coming up, empty streets, and warm air hitting your body- just you, the pavement, and your thoughts! An escape from reality can really replenish your mind, body, and spirit... I feel new and alive today :)
   Tucson is the home of the University of Arizona. I have driven passed the campus a hundred times since being down here but you can see so much more on foot! So I mapped out my run to take me by campus... I must say its rather pretty! Green grass, palm trees, and practice and game facilities for every sport from football and diving to tennis and gymnastics. I was quite impressed! I didn't get to tour the entire campus-it is rather large, ha- but I think i will map out next week's long run to weave in and out of campus :) I'm already excited about it!
   A few of my weekly runs will increase this week and I have decided to incorporate more sprints/intervals and some hill training. That "small" hill I mentioned a few posts back, Tumamoc hill? I will be attempting to conquer her on a weekly basis- stay tuned for further posts regarding that. It should be pretty interesting! I believe her incline is at a consistent 45 degree angle... BRING IT ON! From the words of Mary J. Bleige, "She ain't got nothing on me!" ;)
   I finished out the month of June running a total of 64 miles. Not too bad! Hopefully July will double that :) Sick, huh? Who thinks like that? Just a month ago I was dreading an "easy 3." Oh, the mentality of a runner... :-D
   Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Independence Day :)

NOTES OF THE DAY:
*Temperature: currently 106 degrees
*Song of the Day: "Strip Me" by Natasha Beddingfeld
*Tip of the Day:  Run the tangents. A tangent is a straight line that touches a curve. Certified road race courses are measured by the tangents. If you run the tangents, you are running the actual measured race distance rather than the normal, LONGER course of the road.
*Quote of the Day: "Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." - Dr. George Sheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment