Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thank goodness for running!


Day 3: 4 mile tempo run... cake.

      I needed running today, I needed the road. It feels great to need something I have control over. How far, how fast, and how hard I run are all in my control. I hope I will continue to "need" it... You know, this could develop into a pretty serious relationship- the road and I. We will be spending an awful lot of up close and personal time together ;) Lots of tears and sweat will be shared, but lets hope I don't take after my mom- who likes to get real personal with roads and sidewalks by face-planting and scraping up several appendages all at once! Of course, should this actually happen to me, I will be sure to post pictures for all of your viewing pleasures! 
      5:30am comes quickly after a very restless night of sleep (should have taken a Sleep Now!), but I had been looking forward to my run all last afternoon and evening so I was ready. If I trusted the citizens of Tucson at all, I would have went for my run at 11:00pm last night. But the city's nickname, "The Detroit of the Desert" persuaded me to stay safely inside my white-walled apartment and wait for the morning to arrive- great decision I'm sure! Started my run in the usual direction towards the train tracks and then to loop around through downtown Tucson and back home. I always seem to forget that at the same time every morning the same train interrupts my run for anywhere from 2-5 minutes which is rather annoying! However, I set off earlier enough to just barely beat it. I don't suggest trying to out run a train- you get tired quickly when you have to flat out sprint during the beginning of a relatively easy run ;)
     The rest of the run went smoothly! Only encountered a few homeless people on my journey. Its quite surprising how many of them are up at such early hours...well its quite surprising, and sad, how many there are down here! But who doesn't love warm weather and palm trees!?  I have an easy 3 miles tomorrow but already looking forward to my "long run" on Saturday of 5 miles. Rockin' and rollin' and feeling good this week... hope I can keep up the positive thoughts until the end!
     I decided to add NOTES of the DAY to my blogs. Just another little addition  :)  Happy Hump day, everyone!!

NOTES OF THE DAY:
* Temperature at time of run: 75 degrees
* Song of the day:  Momma Sed by Puscifer (Thanks Mandy and Chris- I LOVE it!)
* Tip of the day: Double-knot your laces BEFORE you start running...
* Quote of the day: "The human body can do so much. Then the heart and spirit must take over." - Sohn Kee-Chung, Korean winner of the 1936 Olympic Marathon

2 comments:

  1. My favorite running song! When I hear this I'm automatically in "marathon mode." :) And you can totally outrun a train.

    ReplyDelete